Questions About Our Changes?
Here are some questions and answers about the changes to the MentorNet web site and the One-on-One E-Mentoring Program.
- More Focused Protégé Choice– immediately after creating a
profile, protégés can choose from up to 5 possible matches, or opt to have
MentorNet try to make a match for them.
- Automatic Matching – if a protégé does not choose
a match within 14 days of completing a profile, MentorNet will automatically try
to make a match for them.
- More Complete Profiles – mentors and protégés fill out a more extensive profile
about themselves and their preferences in a mentoring partner.
We are continually improving our systems to accommodate the needs and wishes of our participants and to build scalability for growth. At the beginning of the 2003-2004 academic year, that meant changing the One-on-One programs to accommodate protégé self-matching and year-round matching.
What we found when we assessed the new systems at the beginning of 2004 was that protégés were not choosing matches at high rate. Many protégés wanted to participate, but found the process of searching for and choosing a mentor to be intimidating and time consuming. This meant that protégés were going without the benefit of mentors' experience, knowledge and willingness to help.
Based on feedback from our partner representatives and participants, we changed to a matching system that continues to allow protégés choice in their mentoring partner, but also provides the option to have MentorNet make the match for them.
- Protégés still have the opportunity to choose their own mentor, just from a more limited set of choices and only for the first 14 days after creating a protégé profile.
- Mentors still have the opportunity to decline the match if they are no longer interested in participating.
- Relationships still last for 8 months.
- Mentors and protégés can still sign up and be matched throughout the year.
- Mentors and protégés have access to MentorNet's high-quality training, coaching and facilitation materials and services.
If you are a mentor, you do not need to do anything, although you will be asked to fill out some additional profile information to help us make the best match possible for you.
If you are a protégé, you must fill out additional information in your profile to have a chance to be matched. If you do not fill out this additional information,
you will not have the chance to choose a mentor, nor will you be automatically matched. Once you fill out your additional information, you will have 3 days to choose from up to 5 suggested matches before being put into the pool for automatic matching.
After joining/signing in to the Community and clicking on the One-on-One Programs, create a mentor or protégé profile. If you are a protégé, you can then choose from up to 5 possible matches or opt to have MentorNet try to find a match for you. If you are a mentor, wait for the email notification that you have been chosen.
More Questions? Please see our FAQ pages.