If you know of a professional in science and engineering that is missing the incredible benefits of e-Mentoring, please send them our site.
Privacy is always respected. MentorNet will not store email addresses or use for any other purpose.
Becoming a Mentor
Thank you for volunteering to be a mentor to one of the thousands of aspiring engineering and science students who are waiting for your wisdom, guidance and support. With your help we will continue to diversify the global workforce and level the playing field for all students who are considering careers in science, technology, engineering and math.
You will be joining 30,000 mentors from our corporate sponsors as well as volunteers from 1800 other employers who have given their time, guided by our program, since our inception in 1997.
Year after year, our mentors tell us how gratifying the MentorNet program is. Here are just a sampling of thousands of testimonials:
- "My former protege now works for my company, which makes me very very proud indeed."
- "I got more than I gave. This experience gave me a chance to reflect on my own career and make some significant changes."
- "I learned how to communicate parts of my own professional life and to show leadership to a future colleague in ways I never had a chance to before. Thank you, MentorNet!"
- "I I learned many things the hard way as an engineer. It feels good to know that I can pass those lessons to the next generation to spare them the pain I had."
- "First of all, I never realized how big the generation gap is these days, even in my own profession, but this mentoring program gave me ways not only to recognize it but begin to overcome it."
- "I practiced skills that I brought back to my own team."
WHAT TO EXPECT
MentorNet will match with an individual protege based on your statement of your preferences. From the moment you accept the protege, about once every week or two MentorNet will email you short conversation guides, discussion suggestions and links to resources to support your mentoring. It only takes 15 minutes a week via email over several months, but the rewards and gratifications are huge and the impact of mentoring on our proteges have been consistent and overwhelmingly positive.
95% of our students persist to graduate with their undergraduate or graduate degree and
- 91% persist in their field three years after MentorNet
- 54% explore employment with their mentors or intend to apply to their Mentor's company when they enter the job market
- Hit the SIGN UP HERE button above
- Fill out your personal profile
- Request to be matched
- Continue to work on your profile page, adding colleagues and students to your personal network and participating in our forum.
To qualify as a mentor, you must
- Have at least 2 years professional work experience in engineering, science, technology, mathematics, medicine or related disciplines
- Have a college degree
- Be willing to mentor a MentorNet protégé via email for 8 months.
What Others are Saying about MentorNet e-Mentoring
"Having to describe what you do helps you reflect on why you think it's important and fun. I also found it helpful in thinking about the qualities I was looking for in new employees in my company."~Current Mentor
Get Your Organization Involved
If your organization isn't involved in the e-Mentoring program yet, click here to get them signed up.
2855 Kifer Road Suite 150
Santa Clara CA 95051
408.296.4405 Ext 0
Why It Works